Monday, April 23, 2007

Banana Cupcakes!

After a gorgeous weekend, it's kind of grey out. Last night I baked some banana cupcakes, and I just frosted them this morning. I can't take a picture because it seems as the camera is still in Dave's car.

I got the recipe from about.com (which I hate), but here it is copied out for everyone (except Lara, who hates bananas) so you don't have to navigate that wretched website. I used buttercream frosting, to which I added yellow food colour, some coconut flakes and a 1/2 tsp of lemon juice.

I didn't have cake flour so I swapped 5 tablespoons of flour for 5 tablespoons of corn startch, and I baked them for 18 minutes. It made about 19 large cupcakes.


INGREDIENTS:
2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening
1/3 cup butter
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium bananas)
2 eggs

PREPARATION:
Sift together the sifted cake flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add shortening, butter,
buttermilk, and mashed banana; mix until moistened, then beat on low speed of electric mixer for 2 minutes. Add eggs and beat 1
minute longer. Grease 2 9-inch round or square layer cake pans and line bottoms with waxed paper. Grease waxed paper. Dived
batter into the two pans; bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes, until cake tests done. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes in
pans; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments: